Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Inspirational

The boys tennis team traveled to Central Valley today to play a varsity match. We brought six JV players along.

While our varsity boys were coasting to a 7-0 victory, an inspirational JV match was unfolding in the corner. Our player Alex was competing against a Down's Syndrome kid on the CV squad. I saw balls flying everywhere, and my boy Alex was chatting with his opponent all the while.

While engaged watching the varsity boys, I had forgotten about the JV match until I heard whooping in the corner. The CV boy was jumping up and down, screaming, "I won!!! I won my first match!!!" He jumped off the court to congratulations all around.

Alex exited the court with a smile on his face. I told him I was proud of him. The CV coach gave him a hug. Alex quietly told me his opponent's smile was worth throwing the match.

Hard to believe I could be so proud of a boy losing a match.

No comments: