Sunday, December 21, 2008

Austin Film Critics Best Films of 2008

After looking at year end lists, and finding many of them similar, let's look at some quirkier picks for best films of the year. This is the first time I've seen that The Dark Knight tops the list.
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Slumdog Millionaire: getting divergent reviews, though it sounds good to me
  3. Milk
  4. Synecdoche, New York: again, probably my favorite movie of the year.
  5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: I was not interested in this movie at all, until I found out it was directed by David Fincher, who directed the woefully underrated "Zodiac."
  6. The Wrestler
  7. WALL*E
  8. Frost/Nixon: I don't like Ron Howard movies, but I think I'll have to see this one.
  9. Let the Right One In: A Scandanavian vampire movie that's getting a lot of press.
  10. Gran Torino: Clint Eastwood movies are getting less subtle as the years go on, so I fear Gran Torino could be this year's "Crash," going out on a limb to prove, once and for all, that racism is bad.
See the Austin Film Critics webpage here.

No comments: