Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Crap

I was listening to a radio show today about getting sick, and the host, Ira Glass, told listeners to look at themselves.

I happened to be standing next to a mirror, so I looked.

He said, "One in two males will get cancer. It's you or me."

I looked away.

We all worry about getting sick, but we persist in believing it can't happen to us, so we go on as if we will remain in good health forever. I keep resolving to eat healthier, to lose weight, to exercise, but I'm not doing it.

It turns out, though, that eating healthier isn't as easy as it looks.

TUESDAY, April 24 (HealthDay News) -- The methods used to produce or cook food may have as much impact on your health as the actual food, U.S. researchers report.

Grilled, fried or broiled animal products such as meats and cheeses contain a class of toxins called "advanced glycation end products" (AGEs), which have been linked to inflammation, insulin resistance, diabetes, vascular and kidney disease, and Alzheimer's disease, say a team from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City.
Crap. I'm going to eat some celery. Raw, not fried. Read the entire article here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I have noticed is there is a big difference between a good primary care doctor and a bad one. Picking a good doctor will help catch cancers and other chronic conditions early. Make sure you have a doctor that will ask family history questions and spend 45 min with you on your yearly wellness exam. This will not make you cancer proof but will help in early detection and prevention. I have seen a lot of doctors who do blood work, vitals, and ask just a couple "how you doing questionS" during physicals. All in all 15-20 minutes max most of the time with a nurse. Stay away from these doctors.

The McGuffin said...

Portion size is the thing...